San Diego Festival of Science & Engineering: The DNA Dragon Design Contest
The San Diego Festival of Science & Engineering is hosting a contest, sponsored by Bill and Shirley Kimmich, to design a DNA model hundreds of meters long – it could be the world’s longest DNA model! The model will be constructed by area science students, paraded through Balboa Park on Festival Kick-Off Saturday and presented on the Main Stage at EXPO DAY.
We need YOUR design ideas to make it happen.
Science Teachers! Here is a great opportunity to use your creativity to earn $1,000 for your school or program! Submit a model for the DNA Dragon Contest – and help us design this great DNA learning project for our students.
DESIGN REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MODEL:
- Phosphate and Deoxyribose backbone – The sugar-phosphate backbone can be a solid piece (ie, wire) or in sections. Nucleotides do not have to be built as units.
- Four Nitrogenous bases must be represented showing correct pairing, A-T and G-C.
- Double Helix shape easily visible and maintained.
- Diameter of double helix must be between 50-60 cm.
- Easy to assemble/disassemble in sections at the San Diego Science Festival = MODULAR
- Lightweight, durable, flexible, colorful.
- Think KIS (Keep It Simple) with cheap, easily obtainable materials – wire, dowels, etc. – since the finished model will contain approximately 5-6,000 bp. The emphasis here is on length and accurate depiction of the DNA.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Go to SDScienceFestival.com and click on DNA Model Contest. Fill out the form and email it back to the Festival’s Review Committee. Deadline for submitting entry intent form is September 30, 2011.
- Build a one meter long DNA sample model for judging (you provide the materials for this). Deadline to complete sample models is October 14, 2011.
- A representative from the Science & Engineering Festival will pick up your model.
SELECTION OF THE WINNING DESIGN: ($1000 TO THE WINNING SCHOOL!!)
The DNA Dragon Review Panel made up of local scientists and educators will select the winning design. The winning design will be based on cost of materials, scientific accuracy, and ease of construction. San Diego County science teachers will be invited to have their students build sections of the model, which will be assembled during Kick-Off Saturday, March 17, 2012 at Balboa Park – and then paraded through Balboa Park similar to the Chinese New Year Dragons! Portions of the model will be presented on the main stage at EXPO DAY, March 24, 2012, at PETCO Park.
September 30, 2011: Entry intent form due online
October 14, 2011: Sample models due
October 21, 2011: Selection of winning design announced
Oct 2011 – Feb 2012: Building the model sections
February 25, 2012: Practice assembly with other SD County science students
March 17, 2012: Parade through Balboa Park on Kick-Off Saturday
March 24, 2012: Presentation of model section on Main Stage at EXPO DAY at PETCO Park
All materials for the final model will be provided by the generous grant provided by Bill and Shirley Kimmich. After the San Diego Science & Engineering Festival, you will keep your own model sections.
CLICK HERE for application.
CLICK HERE for flyer.