Salk Institute High School Scholars Program 2014 applications now available:
Salk Institute High School Scholars Program 2014
Students from throughout the San Diego area gather at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies every summer to participate in hands-on laboratory experiences under the mentorship of a Salk scientist.
Founded more than 30 years ago, the program helps fulfill Dr. Jonas Salk’s vision of providing opportunities for local high school students to experience life in a scientific laboratory, and explore the possibility of a career in science.
Through the eight-week program (June 23 - Aug 15, 2014), students are involved with a full-time research project as well as enrichment activities. Students learn how to formulate and test hypotheses, prepare experiments and draw conclusions from those experiments. They also learn to maintain laboratory notebooks and take part in regular lab meetings and group discussions. At the end of the program, students present their research projects to their mentors, lab members and families.
Program Eligibility Requirements:
- Applicants must be San Diego County residents and have completed their most recent semester of high school at a public or private high school within San Diego County.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Applicants must have successfully completed at least one year each of high school level chemistry and biology by the start of the program.
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Applicants must be able to commit to 40 hrs/wk for the duration of the program.
- Applicants must be able to be responsible for their own transportation.